There is over 1.2billion dollars, yes billion! from lost shares, bank accounts and other providers sitting there waiting for their rightful owners to come and rescue them! So get clicking, it is super easy to find your missing dollars easily online just Start Here.
For those of us who have moved a lot, have spent extended periods overseas or who perhaps who were a little too relaxed in updating things previously it is absolutely worth checking to see if there is any lost money sitting in the Commonwealth of Australia Consolidated Revenue Fund waiting for you.
WARNING! There are companies around who charge you to find your lost money, if you have been approached by one just remember you can search all of the databases in this article whenever you like and for free.
Other places to check for unclaimed monies;
- Unpaid Wages – Fair Work Ombudsman
- Deceased Estates, Dividends wages and other lots of others via the Public Trustee in your state
- Australia Taxation Office for lost super, you can search via snail mail or create a MyGov account. (Hint: Go the MyGov!)
Now once you have found you dollars, we don’t want to lose them again!
- For Bank Accounts – make sure you only have accounts open that you use – check with your bank but making a small deposit or withdrawal transaction at least once every 7 years should keep the account current and open, remembering payment of fees and receipt of interest typically don’t count as a transaction.
- Update your details – If you move, change your email, change your phone number or change your name, make sure you tell your financial institutions, the ATO, Centrelink, Medicare your Superannuation Fund or other organisations that you have financial arrangements with. Better yet ensure you have online access to all of these organisations.
- Setup your MyGov account - keep a track of all your Australian Government Services for eg Medicare, Centrelink, Child Support and the Australian Taxation Office in the one place!